Monday, September 21, 2009

FO: February Lady Sweater

To continue in the vein of not-so-original knits, I have my February Lady Sweater to share. I was seduced by this sweater. Maybe it was the popularity. Maybe it was free pattern. After perusing the various projects on Ravelry, I was convinced that I could make a well-fitting sweater. The pattern was well-written and easy to follow-especially for a novice sweater knitter.



Pattern: February Lady Sweater by Pamela Wynn
Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Spruce
Needles: No. 8s

Many, many of the finished sweaters on Ravelry had sleeves that were loose and baggy like wrinkly elephant legs. This offends some basic knitter pride of mine. One of the fundamentals to knitting is the ability to customize your product to fit to your own body. Is it too big? Make it smaller! Is it too short? Make it longer. As a knitter, you have the ability to change, alter, reject whatever you don't like. If your sleeves come out all loose and baggy, you don't have to accept it.



The major modifications that I made were to the sleeves to avoid all the nasty looseness that all the other knitters were having. I dropped a needle size to no. 7s and decreased in the underarm over one pattern repeat of the lace to get rid of 7 stitches. All in all, I am pleased with the outcome of the sweater. It was my first "every day wear" sweater. I had to get up the courage to wear it, but I didn't get any "did you make take" responses--just "I like your sweater" compliments.

No comments: