Wednesday, September 16, 2009

FO: Lace Ribbon Scarf

Ok, so I finished this over a year ago and never got around to snapping any pictures of it. Even worst, I purchased the yarn at a stopover at WEBS on my way to Rhinebeck in 2007. I purchased 5 skeins of Blue Sky Alpaca's Alpaca Silk in a very lovely peach. I cast on an extra repeat of the pattern so that the scarf would be wide enough to drape on my shoulders.



And then I started to knit. And knit. And knit. I used up all of the 5 skeins. After binding off, I had a 3 inch tail to weave in and that was the end of the fifth skein. So I blocked and started wearing it. It was so long. I never got around to measuring it, but it was obscenely long. That would not have been such an issue if it would drape and wind around my neck neatly. It didn't. No matter which way I a tied and coiled, it always looked weird and awkward.

Awkward! Right? (Plus too many hand knits!)

Finally, after wearing it all winter, I went to wash it and pack it away with my other seasonal woolens. I came to my senses and ripped out about 1-2 feet of the scarf and then reblocked it with my new lace wires. I stretched the width to compensate for the length.

Pattern: Lace Ribbon Scarf by Veronik Avery
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpaca's Alpaca Silk in Peach
Needles: No. 5

The result is a much more graceful scarf.

No comments: