Thursday, March 06, 2008

LYS Conflict

So, on Thursdays I have about 40 minutes to kill between my last class and when I need to leave to go to ballet at 6:20 pm. Unfortunately, my lys is open until 7 and practically next door to my law school so I usually end up wondering over there to look at yarn (I could do work, but really now). Today I went over there for the purpose to pick up the teeniest crochet hook ever so that I can do the beaded cast on for my Hanami wrap. I realized that I could MacGyver something but knowing me, it would be just one more thing to delay my cast on. That and crochet hooks are about a dollar. I found my hook size 0.90mm and realized that I had no cash on me and that there is a minimum purchase requirement for plastic.

I then remembered that I needed a new needle gauge. I found out last week that my old one was wrong. All my size 6 needles where fitting the size 5 whole. I was really offended that my needle gauge was erroneous. It's like buying a ruler where the fifth inch is shorter than the others. I know knitting isn't an exact science, but really now, this was just insulting (and confusing).

So with my tiny, tiny crochet hook in one hand and my new needle gauge in the other I still didn't have enough for the minimum so I bought some sock yarn. Trekking pro natura to be exact. It's purple and kinda shimmery because it is 25% bamboo. I've been wondering about bamboo as a fiber and have shied away from it so far. There is something about the texture that is off putting to me. Additionally, I don't know how to panda-proof my yarn tub. This yarn is soft and the other 75% is superwash wool.



The big issue is that I spend too much money at my lys and am conflicted because while my lys has decent prices for Boston I can usually find the yarn cheaper on line. I want to support my lys, but it's tough competition. For instance, the price of Sugar 'n Cream yarn was 2.50. At Hobby Lobby/Crafts Etc. it only costs 1.69. I know that the lys has more overhead than an online store and must use the profits to pay rent, salaries, stolen inventory.

1 comment:

Aidan said...

I don't know how to panda-proof your yarn box either. But I do know that they reproduce really, really slowly. So you'll probably have time to detect the invasion before it's totally out of control. (Unlike the ants that have discovered the honey in my pantry....)