Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Sustainable agriculture as profitable

Here's a link to a New York Times article about learning to shear sheep at Montana State University (it only takes three days to learn).

"This is a fortunate year to become an American shearer. In a strange local backwash of global capitalism and the weak United States dollar, the Australian and New Zealand shearing companies on which Western ranchers have come to depend are staying home this spring, unable to justify the exchange-rate loss."

Now I have to convince my father to start a sheep farm.

1 comment:

Aidan said...

I think something a long the lines of, "Dad, do you have any idea how much Aidan and I spend on yarn?" would have to be part of the convincing. Of course, in my case, he'd need to start a Sugar N Cream farm.

By the way, don't the sheep look cute? He'd only need a few....