Saturday, August 23, 2008

Comedy of Errors (of sorts)


I don't see how people cannot have a sense of humor when it comes to knitting. Case in point: my best friend cardigan. I was so excited last night to be finished with knitting the sleeves and I commenced with the finishing, namely, seaming the shoulders, attaching the sleeves, and picking up stitches around the neck.

I had previously bound-off the front sides of the cardigan. I decided instead to do a three-needle bind off with the stitches from the back that were put on hold. You may recall that I had to do all new calculations of the stitches because of my differing gauge. As I had continued knitting, I had gotten lax about calculating all the stitches and rows. I would knit an extra row here, decrease an extra stitch there. Well, as I finished joining the left shoulder I realized something horrible had gone wrong. From the stitches that I had put on hold for the back, I needed enough stitches for both shoulders and enough stitches for the neck. I finished the left side by joining the 11 stitches from the front to 11 stitches from the back and I only had 5 stitches left over with which to join the 11 stitches from right front and 10 stitches that were to comprise the back of the neck. Ooops!

Let's look at that math again. Of the 16 stitches on hold, I needed 11 for each shoulder and 10 for the neck. I needed 32 stitches on hold not 16.

Yeah, I have some ripping back to do.

No comments: