Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Works in Progress

Yo, I realize this post is lame without any pictures. Pictures will be forthcoming, as soon as the shots of the big dent that appeared in our car overnight (thankfully, along with a note under the windshield wiper) have been downloaded for safekeeping.

Works in Progress (in order of motivation to finish):

Argosy scarf http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTargosy.html with Atacama alpaca yarn. This one I'm keeping for myself.

Baby Bib O' Love from Mason-Dixon Knitting http://www.masondixonknitting.com with Sugar n' Creme yarn. I have a whole friggin' pound of "geranium", which I also used to make a matching Baby Genius Burp Cloth for my niece's 1st birthday a few weeks back. It was supposed to be a 2-item gift, but only the burp rag got done in time. My brother and sister-in-law are probably the worst targets for handknits (not crafty themselves, prefer store-bought stuff). But for the 1-year-old who just received everything she could ever want for Christmas just a month or so back, it was hard thinking of anything else to buy her. She seemed really into drooling and spitting up when I was hanging out with her at Christmas, so I thought she could at least put a pretty burp rag to good use. Plus, I have all that pink yarn!

Socks for Dad (shhh...don't tell him...it's supposed to be a surprise....) I've only finished the cuff and a little of the 4x2 ribbing pattern on the ankle of sock #1. This is the project I carry around in my purse when I'm running errands. (That pound of Sugar n' Creme just isn't that easy to haul around on the bus.) The pattern is vintage Vogue, circa 1950's, hence the US size 1 needles it calls for. I'm using modern yarn though--75% wool, 25% bamboo. Did I mention that Dad was the one who gave me the Mason-Dixon Knitting book for Christmas?

Socks for Mom, made with superwash worsted Brown Sheep yarn in "cornflower", size 5 needles. Poor Mom, this was also supposed to be a Christmas present for her too. The frustrating thing about these socks is that I had 1 and 1/2 of them done before Christmas, which is about the same number of socks that I still have done. They would've been finished by the time I left Missouri, except that I'd run out of yarn. Once back in San Francisco, I picked up an extra skein, and then that was it. OK, to be fair, there was also the having to frog the entire heel because of a super-loose weird-o stitch aways back. So, I'm working on re-knitting the heel flap, and that's where I've stalled out. The sock could easily be done in a day or two if I just sit down and get to work.

No comments: