Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Can Wool-Ease be not evil?

That's the question. Some kind in-law gave me a random skein of oatmeal colored Lion's Brand Wool-Ease for Christmas. 80% Acrylic, 20% Wool. The weird thing is, I actually really like it. It feels soft and not dry/crunchy/static-y. But I'm wary of getting burned yet again by affordable synthetics that turn out to be crappy. Obviously, acrylic sucks. It's not warm, it snags on any little piece of rough skin around the fingernails, and it pills and looks like something the cat vomited up after wearing it once. However, I do know that some acrylic is crappy and some is much, much more crappy. What if you combine only slightly crappy acrylic with wool?

Also, I had the happy coincidence of finding a patttern for a dishrag (hmm, it's around here somewhere...I'll post it when I find it) and then seeing a baby blanket at a LYS made like a jumbo dishrag. It's the exact some pattern, just supersized. So easy! But. In the past I've crocheted baby blankets with Sugar n Creme cotton. They turn out kinda heavy, and I'm not sure how soft they are after you wash them. I like the natural fibers a lot. Especially for babies, 'cause they can get rashes from synthetics (it's plastic!--traps moisture), and they can give off chemicals. Ick. But, for some reason I'm not jazzed about the idea of making a 100% wool baby blanket. Superwash is expensive for a whole blankie.

So, am I crazy in thinking Wool-Ease may not disappoint me terribly? Is it worth a try? Or am I just deluding myself?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I think that you're going to be disappointed by it, but you can never be sure until you start working with it. You can always knit your archnemisis a scarf or something.

Aidan-Elixabeth said...

do you need any scarves? just kidding. : )