Thursday, March 01, 2007

Look at My Must-stache!




Maybe it was Aidan's description of her maybe-not-so-evil wool ease acrylic wool, but my fingers started itching for some new wool. So to be frugally minded, I had a looksee at my stash of yarn. It's a very sad stash indeed. Most of it is reject yarn: yarn I've been given, yarn I've bought for a project and then abandoned, yarn I just can't figure out what to do with yet.

In the front row of this picture, on the far left is a handsome green heather wool with flecks of red, yellow and blue in it. I have no plans for it yet. I bought it on a whim at Uniquely Yours and well... The natural wool next to it is deemed "Poor man's cashmere." It's a very soft merino wool, don't get me wrong, but poor? This might not be as expensive as cashmere, but it's surely not cheep merino.

Next is the Cascade Pastaza, 50% llama, 50% Wool yarn that I bout at Uniquely Yours. I had intended to knit Mom's Christmas scarf (yeah, it's still in progress). I found that the llama had very little give to it so when you're doing increases and decreases you have a lot less maneuverability. Plus the short fibers started going haywire once I started knitting.

The next three skeins of yarn of Red Heart 100% Acrylique yarn. Yeah, I have one in traffic cone orange and two in fire-engine red. Hmmm...what to do with them? I was thinking of making wigs. Like this one.

Next, in the acrylic spectrum, I have one skein of camouflage and a wool skein of dirt brown. That's right Dad's getting a hit new hat before next deer season. He'll be so happy.

In the back row, I have my tower of cotton yarn. It's all Sugar 'n' Cream brand yarn including the three pound bag at the bottom. I swear Mid-Missouri is the best cheap yarn deal ever (now I know why the Mormons declare that Eden is in Missouri, they must have been to a Hobby Lobby before being forced out by the military). I have no idea what I'm doing with all the cotton. Aidan has the market cornered with dishrags.

My real problem today is that Mom's Christmas scarf is only three feet long and there's not a whole lot of yarn left. I need to search for some more Malabrigo this weekend. There was only one skein of Saphire Green at Windsor Button so I maybe trekking all over Boston to find another.

3 comments:

Aidan-Elixabeth said...

What are those 2 little handwound ball on the right on top of the 3lbs of cotton?

Emily said...

Oh, one is Sugar 'n' Cream in a variegated purple. Actually, it's one of the yarns you first gave me and from which I knitted my Missouri-shaped dishrag from. The yellow ball, isn't cotton. It's some fine baby yarn that I picked up years ago before I was even knitting.

Aidan-Elixabeth said...

I don't know if you're looking for suggestions, but the green wool might make a nice hat or set of mittens. And the poor-man's is probably not the best for mittens, given the color, but might make a good hat too. Or a baby sweater. Or a baby hat and bootie set. I've been looking for an easy baby cardigan pattern, but haven't found one I really like yet.

And don't let my dishragophilia stop you from knitting up some of your own. They're fun, they're easy, and you don't feel bad about giving them away to people.